Hamantaschen cookies are a conventional favourite right through the Jewish vacation of Purim. Triangle-shaped, they arrive with numerous fillings, equivalent to apple, poppy, prune or chocolate.
Breads Bakery, of New York Town, stocks with “CBS Sunday Morning” audience the recipe for his or her fashionable Hamantaschen, underneath. (You’ll be able to to find this and different recipes, together with chocolate babka and challah, on the Breads Bakery website online.)
Do not omit correspondent Religion Salie’s file concerning the historical past of this scrumptious deal with on “Sunday Morning” March 13!
Apple Hamantaschen from Breads Bakery
Makes about 45 hamantaschen (freezing directions integrated)
For the Dough
185 grams (1 stick + 5 Tbsp) butter
40 grams (3 Tbsp) sugar
75 grams (1/2 cup) powdered sugar, sifted
Pinch of salt
340 grams (2 3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
For the Apple Filling
5-6 medium Granny Smith apples
150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt
45 grams (1/2 cup) cake or bread crumbs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg for egg wash
Powdered sugar for dusting
chef knife and slicing board
a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
approx. 3″ hexagon or spherical cutter
piping bag or spoon
pastry brush or your hands
sheet pan coated with parchment paper
sifter or sieve
Combine the dough
- Measure out all elements and put aside. [For best results, we recommend using a kitchen scale to weigh ingredients instead of measuring with cups & spoons.]
- In an electrical mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and salt on medium pace for approximately 4 mins or till mild and fluffy.
- Upload the powdered sugar and blend on low pace for 1 minute or till mixed, scraping the bowl as wanted.
- Slowly upload the egg and blend on medium pace for two mins or till absolutely mixed, scraping the bowl as wanted.
- Upload the flour and blend on low pace till simply mixed, about 30 seconds. Don’t overmix! If the dough is crumbly, you’ll knead it quite by means of hand till it comes in combination. [Overmixing the flour will allow too much gluten to form in the dough, resulting in a tougher texture. In general for tender baked goods like cakes and cookies, only mix the flour until just combined, even finishing the mix by hand to make sure you don’t overdo it.]
- Take away the dough from the bowl and variety it right into a more or less 6″ x 6″ sq.; duvet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or as much as 1 day (or pop it immediately within the freezer and freeze for as much as two weeks, defrosting within the refrigerator in a single day sooner than shaping).
Make the filling
- Peel, core, and cube the apples into quarter-inch cubes.
- Prepare dinner the filling: mix 3/4 of the apples, the sugar, and water in a saucepan and prepare dinner over medium-high warmth, mashing the apples with the again of a spoon as they melt. Prepare dinner till the combination is the feel of chunky applesauce, including extra water as wanted.
- Upload the rest apple cubes and mix, cooking a couple of mins extra.
- Take away from warmth and upload the cinnamon and cake crumbs. Let cool totally sooner than shifting to a piping bag (if the usage of).
- Make the egg wash by means of evenly whisking one egg, a pinch of salt, and a touch of water till the yolk breaks up and the combination is easy. Put aside.
- Roll out the dough: on a evenly floured floor, roll the chilled dough to one/8 to one/16″ thick, including flour as wanted to verify it does not persist with the desk. If the dough breaks, you’ll patch it with scraps and stay rolling, or lower the dough into smaller, extra manageable parts to roll. Push aside any extra flour with a dry pastry brush. [There’s a sweet spot where the dough temperature is warm enough to roll without cracking but cold enough to not stick to the table. Before you begin rolling cold dough straight from the fridge, temper it by hitting it firmly with a rolling pin many times on both sides. This helps make the dough more pliable, preventing cracking as you roll it out. (It’s also a stress reliever for the baker.)]
- Reduce the dough the usage of a hexagon (or circle) cutter. Take away any extra dough, re-form right into a sq. (with out over-kneading), duvet in plastic and refrigerate once more.
- Frivolously egg wash all of the most sensible floor of the hexagons.
- Pipe the filling: if the usage of a piping bag, lower a 1/2″ opening within the tip of the bag, or use a 1/2″ spherical tip for those who desire. Ensure your apple filling can have compatibility throughout the opening with out clogging. Pipe (or spoon) roughly 1 teaspoon of apple filling into the middle of each and every piece, being cautious to not overfill.
- Fold each different nook (3 general) up and into the middle to variety a pyramid, pinching the rest corners to protected the filling. (If the usage of a circle cutter, believe 3 equidistant “corners” and pull the ones up into the middle.)
- Prepare formed cookies 2″ aside on a parchment-lined sheet pan and refrigerate for a minimum of Quarter-hour.
- Repeat steps 3 – 7 till you have got formed all the dough, re-rolling scraps as much as thrice. [Want to bake your hamantaschen another day? Consolidate them on your sheet pan (without allowing them to touch), wrap well with plastic wrap and freeze for up to one week. Allow them to defrost slightly for 15-20 minutes before baking.]
Bake it great
Bake at 350 levels Fahrenheit for 10-Quarter-hour or till golden brown. Let cool quite sooner than protecting in powdered sugar.
Storing your hamantaschen
Hamantaschen will at all times be highest the day that they are baked, however they are going to hang smartly at room temperature as much as two days after baking. Retailer the cooled cookies in a sealed container or wrapped in plastic.
For more information: